Senior Information from the College Office (Room 218)
Senior College Counselors:
Please remember to place the college counselor information on your college and scholarship applications.
The College Office
secretary is Ms. Clinton. She is located in Room 216 her extension is 2161. She is also in charge of student Naviance. Her office hours
are 7:30 am to 2:50 pm.
Applying to College
Are you a senior and unsure of where to start with the college application process?
Please read the following instructions…. (READ EVERYTHING)
1. Be aware of your Cumulative GPA (visible on your transcript or Naviance account) and Test Scores (SAT-collegeboard.org or ACT-actstudent.org).
· Use this information to compare yourself to colleges’ admission profiles (average admitted student) and develop a balanced list of schools to apply to
· It is recommended that you have a combination of:
o Reach Schools (your GPA & Test Scores lower than avg. admitted students)
o Target Schools (your GPA & Test Scores match avg. admitted students)
o Safety Schools (your GPA & Test Scores are higher than avg. admitted students)
2. All students are encouraged to apply to CUNY
· Apply on CUNY’s website by visiting: www.cuny.edu/application
· Apply up to 6 schools for one $65 application fee (see your college counselor if you are eligible for fee waivers)
· Need assistance with starting your CUNY app? Watch the following YouTube video
3. If you are applying to SUNY or Private Schools, create a Common Application account by visiting https://app.commonapp.org/createaccount
· After creating your account, you will add schools to your dashboard and complete requirements for each college
4. After completing your applications, you must submit your SAT/ACT test scores to each college.
· For CUNY schools- only submit once to UAPC- 2950
5. If applying to a school that REQUIRES a counselor recommendation, you MUST fill out the “Student Brag Sheet” that is located on the College Office tab of the school website (scroll to the bottom of the page where documents are linked). Brag Sheets must be completed and emailed to your College Counselor NO LATER THAN 4 weeks prior to the application deadline.
All seniors must be using Naviance as a tool during the college process. USE IS MANDATORY! Documentation to colleges will only be sent using the Naviance program. Please see your counselor for more information.
- Sign in to Naviance and update the “Colleges I’m Applying to List”. This list should only include schools you are applying to or already applied to. You MUST remove any additional schools you are no longer applying to.
- When adding colleges to your list, you MUST indicate APPLICATION TYPE for each school (application deadline and how you are applying). Make sure to click on the ADD AND REQUEST TRANSCRIPT button.
CUNY vs SUNY
SUNY & CUNY information packets are available in room 218. Please stop by to pick one up. Application information is also available online.
Consistently check Naviance for updated scholarship information!
You can also check out these websites:
FAFSA and TAP (COMPLETE BOTH)
NEW: The FAFSA application was available for completion as of October 1st!
The FAFSA application is FREE!!! NEVER PAY to fill it out! Please use the website below:
TAP Application: For New York State residents planning on attending a New York State College/University.
SAT and ACT Registration Information
Seniors: remember it is your responsibility to sign up for the SAT, ACT, and/or TOEFL exams. Use the links below to register. Remember to register early. Any questions or concerns, please see your guidance counselor.
SAT - www.collegeboard.org
ACT - www.actstudent.org
TOEFL - www.ets.org/toefl
SAT and/or ACT FEE WAIVERS can be obtained if students have completed the lunch form and receive free or reduced lunch. Fee waivers can be obtained in Room 216 or Room 218.
It is also YOUR responsibility to send YOUR SAT/ACT scores to colleges!!!
Seniors are REQUIRED to use Naviance. This is how documents get sent to colleges.
College Bus Tour
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Brooklyn-Long Island Alumni Chapter, is pleased to inform you that registration is now open for The 2020 Felix Romain College Bus Tour to be held April 13 - 17, 2020. The tour is intended for 9th -12th grade students, and the scheduled list of schools to be visited within New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ohio are:
The tour includes meals and lodging for a fee of only $450.00. Payment plans are available.
The deadline for all applications and payments is January 5, 2020. All students are required to submit an on-line application to hold a seat for the tour.
For further information, please contact Mr. Earl Fleary at (917) 755-1085 or email@example.com.
Please post and share the attached flyer with students, parents, as well as other principals, guidance counselors, and college advisers. This year's tour was a tremendous success, and planning has commenced to ensure that next year's tour will be an even greater experience! This tour is not to be missed! We look forward to your students' participation!
Interested students may visit this on-line application link: BIT.LY/FRCT2020